He's still got it: Dirty D vs Drew Harper - Weekend Wrestling

 

 

When I first saw Dirty D, I immediately knew he looked familiar. I couldn't figure out where from until I checked out the match gallery and saw the photo below. That sinister glare is what sparked the remembrance:

Ah yes. I remember now! We watched Dirty D transform from jobber twink to hot and beefy heel under the name Bobby Horton at BG East. A transformation which got my attention in more ways than one for sure. I haven't seen all of his BG videos, but my favorites were his matches against Dick Rick, Cole Cassidy, and Johnny Firestorm. I highly recommend all of them.

Dirty "D" vs Drew Harper - Weekend Wrestling

First of all, I'm really loving Dirty D's look here. Reminds me of the old school villainous wrestling heels I watched growing up in the early 90's, right at the end of what some call the "Golden Era" of professional wrestling. Drew is all arrogance here, stretching and flexing in the ring while bragging whoever his opponent is won't be ready.

"I already know I'm better."
 
Most of the time, I skip through the in-ring warm up, but I didn't this time. We get great views of Drew's body and muscles! Dirty D makes his entrance and when he confronts Drew in the ring, Drew tells him that he is the "biggest heel here."
 
"Oh? A heel...that's cute"
 
Drew has no idea what he's in for.  



 
I have seen a good amount of matches featuring Drew, but I have to say I can't recall him suffering like this. It's incredibly hot to watch everyone's favorite frat boy in anguish on the mats. His facial expressions are award winning and Dirty D's calculated and methodical demolition of Drew here have thrown him into the running for my heel of the year category along with the likes of Joey Nux and Gabe Steel. He often lets out a evil laugh in between the insults and watching Drew suffer. This is a walk in the park for the returning heel, and it's fuckin' great!

W H E W 😛

One sided beatdowns are relatively common in underground wrestling and any match with this theme will have to have something special to set it apart at the risk of becoming "just another squash." Does this match accomplish that?






It sure does. In my humble opinion, this is one Drew's best jobber roles to date, and it's at the hands of an experienced underground veteran who makes an incredibly successful return to the ring after a long absence. Drew has no where to go but up from here. With more performances like this, regardless of his role, he will solidify himself as one of the top underground wrestlers for this generation.
And Dirty D? As I said above, what a return to the ring! I certainly hope this wasn't a one and done deal, because he can easily become Weekend's resident ultimate heel. He's cold and calculated and seems to be ready to destroy anyone who gets in his way. As wrestling fans like to say, "You still got it!"

This match is sheer brutality and isn't over until an unconscious Drew (who passes out in one of my favorite holds) is "a sweaty pile of pain in the corner of the ring" as said by the match description on WW. 

Check out this hot ring beatdown today!


Comments

  1. Thanks for reviewing this match. It's one I've had my eye on but haven't checked out yet. I love the gif of Drew adjusting his package, he seems to enjoy playing the jobber. It's nice to see Bobby back, he was one of my favorites back in the day. I'm sure I'll check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I catch Drew doing that in several of his matches. I feel like its becoming a signature move of sorts for him lol. And same here WR! I was so excited to see Bobby return.

      Delete
  2. Ok Mikey, I had to look up Bobby Horton but I prefer this heel look he has at Weekend. I bought one or two of his previous marches here and picked this one and the most recent.
    I usually prefer a back-and-forth match but Harper deserves his beatings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my blog reviews helped you out! Bobby/Dirty D is one of my favorite heels

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unscripted: Hans Auslander vs Forrest Taylor

Brutal Brendan Byers vs Brody Merritt - Weekend Wrestling

Gabe Steel vs Kal Handsome - Weekend Wrestling