Rookie Wreckage: Alex Garcia vs Nick Karras - 88Wrestling

 

Alex Garcia vs Nick Karras - 88 Wrestling

So, I picked up this match last week and initially I wasn't sure if I was going to review it or not. I gave it another watch a few days ago, and decided that I would.

This is Alex's debut match with 88 and Nick's 4th released bout with the company.  I haven't been able to check out Nick's other matches, although I have been tempted more than once. Anyways, this was my first time seeing the two in action.

I have a lot of thoughts about this match, but I will keep it light.


Although a bit sloppy (for lack of a better term) at times, this was a fun battle to watch. Not as intense as I had hoped, but the pace is consistent. According to the 88 website, Alex has a strong background in amateur wrestling and jiu-jitsu, but its clear he's just starting to get his feel for the pro style scene. Not at all uncommon or even unexpected. Nick does a good job to keep the pace going.

Both of these guys are ridiculously handsome and have a great energy they bring into the 88 ring. Nick has more experience in this style of combat and it shows. Alex needs to work on his selling quite a bit, but I need to point out that it's not for lack of trying. I've seen countless matches where either one or both competitors just don't seem to give a fuck and are there to make a quick buck and move on. Thankfully, neither one of these guys gives off that vibe. There's plenty of effort. It just needs some fine tuning.



Even through some of the more awkward moments, there are enough gratifying scenes for us viewers that counter them. The final sweat soaked KO and following victory flex is more than enough of a reward that will easily satisfy any underground wrestling fan. In the end, I was happy with this match. 

88Wrestling has an impressive roster full of talent and experience that I hope will take the time to work with Alex in particular. I would definitely love to see more of him. The pieces are there, he just needs a good coach to help him put the pro-style puzzle together.

I'm not worried about Nick at all. He's well on his way to being one of underground wrestling's next gen studs, just might take a few more matches. I'm really excited to see his next match against Drew Harper, which will be released next week according to a recent 88Wrestling e-mail. I will be sure to report back here once I've checked it out.

Alex Garcia vs Nick Karras - 88 Wrestling
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unscripted: Hans Auslander vs Forrest Taylor

Brutal Brendan Byers vs Brody Merritt - Weekend Wrestling

Gabe Steel vs Kal Handsome - Weekend Wrestling