Tough Enough? Matt Miller vs Tanner Hill - 88Wrestling

88 always has great match header graphics! Saves me some time.

I was excited to see another match from Matt Miller was on deck at 88Wrestling. His body is what got my attention the most before I saw his debut match against Ethan last year. 88 bills him as "The School Jock." I'd use the phrase "The Football Frat" (but that's just because it fits a fantasy of my own😆) He fits both descriptions to a T.

 This is how my after practice fantasy begins 😆😆😆

OK OK lets get back on course here before I get too distracted...


According to 88Wrestling, this match was actually the predecessor to an already released tag team match that placed both Matt and Tanner up against Ethan (Axel) and Jake Mason. I haven't seen this match as of yet. It does make me just a little concerned. I was a bit underwhelmed with Matt's debut match against Ethan, as far as his in-ring skills go. I wasn't too critical though, with it being his very first time in an 88 ring. I'm looking forward to seeing some improvements here in this battle!

The gear choices for both men are spot on. I do like the blue trunks we are used to seeing Matt in, but these black/white trunks really show off one of his best assets :P same goes for Tanner



Right off the bat, Matt puts my worries to rest with a suplex followed by some stomps that are definitely more realistic than what I've seen previously. Placing him in the ring with a chiseled 88 veteran such as Tanner was a great idea. Tanner helps even out the areas where Matt may still be lacking when it comes to selling holds and strikes, and I think it's working out very well so far. 

I found this spladle variation particularly hot

Tanner controls a majority of Round 1, but Matt gets some decent offense and submissions in as well. And it's always nice to see a stud like Tanner suffering on the mats!


The end of round one comes when one of these sweat soaked studs is stretched out and shook until he screams out a submission while the victor flexes over his exhausted opponent. 

We see the action really pick up in round 2. I'm going to call this Matt's comeback round because out of nowhere this match becomes very competitive much to my surprise! We are treated to a hot back and forth sequence of both guys trying to wear the other down with sweat pouring down their bodies and onto the mats (and each other!)


Whether or not this match ends in round 2 or carries over to a 3rd round is something you will have to find out for yourself, but I can tell you the final 8 minutes left me on the edge and kept me guessing up until the final turn and submission came. 

As I said above, this match was released after but occurred before the tag match where Matt and Tanner were partners and this was essentially a test run of sorts for Tanner to see if Matt was "Tough Enough" to be his tag partner. The answer was obviously a yes, and this match proves it.

Matt really impressed me, especially in the last half of this match. I feel like now with just a bit more work he finally may be broken in enough to shake off the rookie title and start to show off his talent. Looking forward to more Matt from 88!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unscripted: Hans Auslander vs Forrest Taylor

Brutal Brendan Byers vs Brody Merritt - Weekend Wrestling

Gabe Steel vs Kal Handsome - Weekend Wrestling